Monday, September 09, 2002

Oh My Gosh!!

Yesterday, I slept at around 11pm. I have school tomorrow but I couldn't sleep. I kept thinking and asking myself what must i do to discipline the band.
I thought of many ways, from threats to earning respect to plain old shouts. Then I thought of one good strategy that would not enable me to shout but they will respect me and discipline at all times when someone is making announcement to the band. As you know, i dont like to shout and im a very cheerful person. I feel bad if i make someone unhappy and hate to see them suffering but what can i do, im a Band Major and i must do something to discipline band. This is my plan:

When im in front of the band, and when the whole band is not paying attention of the person in front of the band, I will start counting upwards. The number where i stop is the number of push-ups or pumping the whole band owes me when they do drilling. The first 3 numbers are not counted and I start counting but on the 4th number and so on, they will all owe me rounded up.

Today, I tried this strategy and i had no choice. Guess what? It worked!! Out of the blues, i started counting and they immediately responded and quickly kept silent. They know that something bad would happen to them if i count. I explain what would happen to them and also i was shouting to them! I couldnt believe it that i started shouted in an angry tone for the first time in front of the band! Soon after explaining about the new discipline technique and after a few announcements, the whole band started to make noise again and its getting louder and louder. Again, i counted loudly up to 3, since they all kept quiet at the count of 3. It was a success. This is the first time that i made a band quiet at my command!

No comments: